Causes & Treatment of Vaginal Itching
Reproductive organs are the most sensitive parts of the body. Women are more prone to infections than men. Taking good care of the vagina is something we cannot evade because otherwise, it will lead to vaginal allergies and infections. Dr. Shelly Arora, states that though the vagina is a self-cleaning part of the body, keeping it clean is our duty only. In this article, she gives clarity on what are the causes and treatment of vaginal itching.
What is Vaginal Itching?
Vulva or Vaginal itching is a common issue in women. But there can be several causes which could have led to itching in the vagina. The vulva is the outer part of the female reproductive organ. Vagina is made of labia, vulva and clitoris. Vaginal irritation can be due to yeast infections, allergies and skin conditions. Vaginal irritation may be inside or outside the vaginal area. Each symptom and cause would have a different treatment plan.
What causes vaginal itching?
Irritation or allergic reactions
Irritation in and around the vagina can be due to several reasons. The products used around the vaginal area, menstrual pads, underwear fabric, soaps, lubes, creams, or lotions, usage of condoms, or using non-medicated products. The itching and irritation might start to go away after one stops using such products. Unless the medicated product is recommended by a doctor, refrain from using any product around the vagina. When your skin is itchy, avoid scratching or rubbing it, as it will only make the allergy worse.
Bacterial vaginosis is bacterial growth in the vagina. Though the bacteria is treatable is a Short-term infection which resolves within days to weeks but can cause severe itching and bruising inside the vagina. Some common symptoms of bacterial vaginosis are:
- Itching inside vagina
- White or greyish vaginal discharge
- Unpleasant odour after intercourse
Yeast infection takes place when there is an overgrowth of infection or candida in the vagina. Though a yeast infection is a treatable infection which affects the tissues at the opening of the vagina. Yeast infections are treatable and are usually not a serious condition but their signs and symptoms can bother an individual.
- Irritation in the vagina
- Pain, itching and burning in the vagina
- Odourless white or clear discharge
There are some common skin infections which can cause severe itching in and around the vagina. Common causes of skin infections are:-
- Seborrheic dermatitis-cause scaly, red patches on the skin
- Psoriasis- Skin cells form scales and itchy, dry patches
- Skin writing (Dermatographia)
- Dermatitis- skin inflammation
Sexually transmitted infections (STIs) is an infection that can easily be contracted after having sexual contact with a person who has already been diagnosed with STIs. STIs can irritate the vagina and cause pain and discomfort. It is very important to seek medication and treatment for STIs as they can affect the person severely and cause long term issues in the body like pelvic diseases and can also lead to infertility.
Treatment of Vaginal Itching
There are two ways to treat vaginal itching- medically and through home remedies. Once the cause of vaginal itching is diagnosed the doctor recommends treatment options and the course of treatment will depend on the cause of itching.
- Vaginal yeast infections are treated by antifungal medicines which are prescribed by the doctor
- For treating Bacterial vaginosis doctors prescribe antibiotics which can come in pills or cream form
- For controlling the effect of STDs, antibiotics, antivirals and antiparasitic are given and doctors suggest the patient avoid sexual intercourse unless the infection is treated
- Soaps, lotions, and creams filled with fragrance should be avoided
- After swimming or exercising, change your clothes full of sweat as soon as possible
- Change your undergarments every day
- Vaginal sprays and douches should be avoided at all costs.
- Use protection, like a condom when having sexual intercourse to avoid transmission of infection
- After a bowel movement, always wipe from front to back
Ques 1. Can a UTI cause vaginal itching?
No, there has not been found any relation between vaginal itching and UTIs. Taking antibiotics to treat IUI might trigger the itching in the vagina. But visiting a specialist might be the best option.
Ques 2. Can diabetes cause vaginal itching?
Yes, if your sugar is high then there are chances that your genital area might itch. Therefore, it is suggested to control your sugar levels.
Ques 3. Is vaginal itching normal?
Yes, and No, most vaginal itching is normal but if the itching continues and causes discomfort more than usual then visiting a gynaecologist might be the best.
Ques 4. Does vaginal itching always mean an STD?
No, STD can be one of the causes of vaginal itching but there are several other factors which can lead to vaginal itching.
Ques 5. Does vaginal dryness cause itching?
Yes, vaginal dryness can cause itching, redness, flaky skin around the vagina and pain during sexual intercourse.
Get in touch with us