Top 10 expert- approved tips for prostate cancer prevention
Prostate cancer is among the top ten cancers affecting men across age groups. It is highly prevalent in India and is the 6th leading cause of death in men. Despite the figures, the rising incidence of this cancer can be controlled by practising prevention measures. Prostate cancer prevention is a conscious choice to substantially lower the risk of its spread.
In this article, Dr Shalabh Agrawal, the best urologist in Gurgaon, offers his insights on how to prevent prostate cancer.
Prostate cancer prevention strategy
Before we help you with ways to prevent prostate cancer, let us get a general overview of what is prostate cancer all about.
What is prostate cancer?
Prostate cancer is the abrupt growth of cancer cells found in the prostate gland. The prostate is responsible for producing seminal fluid and promoting the reproductive health of a man.
Prostate cancer symptoms usually become visible when cancer has advanced. Some of the common symptoms include:
- Frequent urge to urinate
- Leaking of urine
- A sense of pressure, discomfort or pain in the bladder
- Pain in the bones
Prostate cancer can only be diagnosed by a verified medical expert. Most people present with the above-given symptoms and undergo a variety of tests to find that they have prostate cancer.
Who can get prostate cancer?
Any man can develop prostate cancer during his reproductive age. Some men, however, have an increased risk of getting prostate cancer. The common risk factors include:
- Age: This condition is more prevalent in older men, especially over the age of 50 years.
- Family history: Your chances of developing this cancer increases if someone (a blood relative) in your family has, previously, battled with prostate cancer.
- Obesity: Several studies have proved a direct link between being obese and developing prostate cancer. There are also higher chances that cancer may recur if the patient suffers from obesity.
Can prostate cancer be prevented?
Yes, prostate cancer prevention is possible and effective. Though there is no single strategy that ensures ways to prevent prostate cancer, a variety of precautionary measures can be successful.
Here are some expert-approved tips on how to prevent prostate cancer:
1. Load up on fruits and vegetables: A healthy diet filled with a range of fruits and vegetables is customary to prostate cancer prevention. Several studies have proved that the antioxidants present in these food items prevent damage to cells present in the prostate.
Red fruits such as tomatoes are rich in lycopene (an antioxidant). Lycopene has been associated with a reduced risk of prostate cancer. Other fruits and vegetables that protect against this cancer are leafy greens such as spinach, beans, peas, blueberries, grapefruit, oranges and watermelon.
2. Consider taking vitamin supplements: Vitamins and minerals are essential to our overall well-being. They are regarded as significant in prostate cancer prevention guidelines.
However, maintaining a well-balanced intake of vitamins, minerals and proteins through natural means is not always possible. Supplements help us to compensate for any nutrient demand that has not been met.
3. Exercise most days of the week: The importance of exercise for cancer prevention is crystal clear. Irrespective of your body weight, you are advised to engage in physical activity regularly.
Exercising helps promote better blood circulation, removal of toxins from the body and uplifting mood. Your immune system will be strengthened even if you exercise at least 4 days a week.
4. Maintain a healthy weight: Prostate cancer is linked with obesity – the more overweight a person becomes, the higher his chances of cancer get. One of the most natural ways to prevent prostate cancer is to maintain a healthy weight. Exercising regularly is a great path for healthy body weight. Physical activity promotes the loss of excess weight and fats.
5. Quit smoking: Tobacco consumption has a direct impact on the development of cancerous cells in the prostate gland. If you smoke cigarettes, it is your time to quit for prostate cancer prevention. If you do not smoke, we suggest that you should not start.
6. Restrict alcohol intake: An uncontrolled consumption of alcohol impacts your heart health negatively. It can additionally worsen your blood pressure levels, blood cholesterol and cause other health problems. A limit on the intake of alcohol is one of the top prostate cancer prevention guidelines. If you are already living with prostate cancer risk factors, it is advised that you restrict your alcohol consumption.
7. Take in more Vitamin D: All vitamins are essential to a healthy mind and body. However, vitamin D has additional proven effects. It is among the natural ways to prevent prostate cancer.
You should extend your exposure to the sun along with eating foods rich in vitamin D. Foods that can prevent prostate cancer and are rich in vitamin D are mushrooms, salmon and more.
8. Stay sexually active: The prostate gland has direct involvement in your sexual health. A healthy sexual life is your answer to can prostate cancer be prevented. Men who ejaculate frequently are at a safer distance from developing cancer cells.
9. Live stress-free: Stress is a leading cause of health complications in men and women. A man who lives a stressful life is often faced with problems on the sexual front.
It is necessary to monitor your way of living and perform meditation to alleviate stress levels. A sedentary lifestyle along with high-stress levels can increase the risk of prostate cancer.
10. Get early screening: Prostate cancer symptoms are not easily detectable in the early stages. Sometimes men may misinterpret these signs and symptoms of other health conditions. It should be noted that early detection of prostate cancer is the best prevention measure.
If you are living with risk factors such as obesity, old age, family history or even a sedentary lifestyle, you should consider going for regular screening for prostate cancer prevention. Your healthcare provider would offer a full range of diagnostics and imaging services to detect the presence of a cancerous cell and offer relevant prostate cancer treatment
If the cancer is found in its early stages, effective treatment can be given so that the patient feels complete relief and cancer does not occur again.
Things to consider for prostate cancer prevention guidelines
- You should choose items that are low in fats and carbs while eating foods to prevent prostate cancer.
- Foods rich in Omega-3 fatty acids such as nuts, fish and seeds are good foods that can prevent prostate cancer.
- Green tea and soy milk are beneficial for reducing the risk of this cancer.
- You should consult with your urologist to discuss your personal medical history if you are uncertain about your chances of this ailment.
- Tomatoes, broccoli and cauliflower are superior among foods that can prevent prostate cancer.
- You should take into regard what are the risk factors for prostate cancer for yourself and your family.
The concluding note
Prostate cancer prevention can be successfully done by incorporating the above-given tips in your every day.
If you wish to learn more about your risk of prostate cancer, book a consultation with Dr Shalabh Agrawal, urologist & andrologist at the CK Birla Hospital for personalised guidance.
Visit the CK Birla Hospital for more details on prostate cancer prevention guidelines and treatment.
Ques: What are the main causes of prostate cancer?
Ans: There is no single cause of prostate cancer. Medical experts believe a change in DNA in the prostate gland leads to cancer, over time.
Ques: Can I prevent prostate problems naturally?
Ans: Yes, you can prevent prostate problems naturally by following healthy lifestyle habits that involve a well-balanced low-fat diet, regular exercise, no smoking and drinking, more vitamin D and low levels of stress.
Ques: What foods kill prostate cancer?
Ans: Foods that may help in slowing down the spread of prostate cancer include broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, bok choy, spinach and kale.
Ques: Does Ejaculation cause or prevent Prostate Cancer?
Ans: Medical experts have found that more ejaculation is linked to a decreased prostate cancer risk.
Get in touch with us