What is a hernia? Do I need surgery to treat it?
The incidence of hernia in India is very high. Men, in comparison to women, are more susceptible to developing hernias. Although this ailment can occur in people across ages, a hernia is most common among the elderly. In this article, Dr Mayank Madan, a renowned Hernia surgeon in the CK Birla Hospital, explores what is a hernia about and when a hernia surgery required.
Dr Mayank Madan, Best hernia surgeon at the CK Birla Hospital, Gurgaon offers effective hernia treatment aimed at low-risk and quick recovery.
What is a hernia?
A hernia is a condition in which a body organ pushes through weak muscles holding it together. A hernia can occur anywhere between the chest and the groin. It appears in the form of an abnormal bulge.
Apart from dull recurrent pain and discomfort, hernia mostly does not cause severe symptoms. You can expect to notice a lump or swelling that highlights this condition.
The hernia is of different types depending upon its location. Some major forms of hernia include inguinal, femoral, umbilical, hiatus and incisional among others. Inguinal hernias are the most common type.
There is no single cause attributed to the development of a hernia. Weak muscles that may be present since birth is one reason behind this condition. Excessive and repeated strain on abdomen and groin can also cause hernias. Simple health concerns such as physical exertion, coughing, obesity, constipation etc can unknowingly cause much abdominal strain.
What is hernia treatment?
Accurate investigation of the ailment is necessary before hernia treatment. The diagnosis of hernia is fairly simple. At most times, the lump (hernia) is visible and even felt. Your healthcare provider will assess the bulge and ask about your symptoms.
Sometimes, your doctor may also indicate screening tests such as ultrasound and CT scans to visualise the state of the hernia.
Hernia treatment is varied for each patient. Several factors help your healthcare provider decide which treatment protocol to follow. Some of these factors include:
- Type of hernia – Each form of hernia affects a person differently. Hence, its treatment type is also different.
- Content of hernia – A hernia may simply be a bulge of fatty tissues, bowel, muscles or some other tissue.
- The severity of symptoms – The effects of the condition on your everyday life is assessed to determine which treatment modality to opt.
- Overall health – Your age and general wellness are also important. If you are suffering from chronic illness or health conditions such as heart diseases, your doctor may implement a treatment plan following that.
At most times, surgery for a hernia is the relevant method for improving your health.
There are majorly two treatment types – watchful waiting and hernia surgery. If your symptoms are mild and do not interrupt your life, your healthcare provider may suggest active surveillance as hernia treatment. You will be frequently examined for changes in symptoms. Your doctor will provide medicinal support to relieve pain and discomfort.
What is hernia surgery?
A hernia repair surgery is when your general surgeon cuts open the area of the bulge and push the muscles back into their original place. Hernia surgery is an effective remedy and provides complete relief for an extended period.
Hernia surgery is a safe procedure when performed by a qualified surgeon. It does not have severe side effects and has high success rates.
Call +911244882200 to know the hernia operation cost in Gurgaon.
What are the types of hernia surgery?
Hernia repair surgery is done in two ways – traditional surgery and advanced laparoscopic hernia surgery.
- Open hernia surgery – Open hernia surgery is a conventional surgical method. Your surgeon makes a large incision at the site where the hernia is located. Through this incision, he/she accesses the bulge and pushes back the tissues in place. The weak muscle wall is stitched back. Your surgeon will provide support to the weakened wall with the help of a surgical implant or mesh.
- Laparoscopic hernia surgery – Laparoscopic hernia surgery, also referred to as a keyhole procedure, is a more advanced and innovative surgery for a hernia. Your surgeon uses advanced medical tools to access the bulge. In this surgery, multiple small incisions are made at the hernia location. Through one of the incisions, the surgeon inserts a laparoscope, a thin tube with a tiny camera attached at one end. This medical device allows the surgeon to visualise the internal organs. The other incisions are used to access the hernia. The surgeon repairs the bulge by pushing it back in its place with the help of surgical devices.
Laparoscopic hernia surgery is a minimally invasive procedure and outscores the benefits of open hernia surgery. The patient experiences lesser pain during keyhole surgery. The amount of blood loss and scarring is also minimal.
Also, read: How safe is Laparoscopic surgery?
Are there any risks associated with hernia surgery?
Surgery for a hernia is a safe and common procedure. It is a low-risk method for a permanent solution for a hernia. However, both open and laparoscopic surgery for hernia has certain side-effects.
Common risks associated with a hernia repair surgery are infection, pain, headache, nausea, bladder injury, nerve damage and blood clots.
Sometimes, a patient may experience recurrence of the hernia. However, disease recurrence is extremely rare post-surgery.
What does the recovery for hernia surgery look like?
The time taken to recovery from hernia surgery depends on the type of hernia, patient’s overall health and type of surgery. Most patients can return home the same day.
The estimated time for recovery from open hernia surgery is at around 3 weeks. You should, however, avoid strenuous physical activities for up to 6 weeks. The recovery from laparoscopy is much less than open surgery.
You should follow your surgeon’s guidelines for proper postoperative care:
- You can expect minor pain till healing
- Avoid lifting any heavy objects
- You should exercise according to your doctor’s instructions
- You should come for follow-up visits
- Make sure to complete your course of medication
In case of any complications, consult your healthcare provider instantly.
The concluding note
Hernia affects every person uniquely. If you have severe symptoms, surgery may be the ideal fix for your condition. An untreated hernia can cause several complications as it grows.
To learn more about hernia surgery, you can book an appointment with Dr Mayank Madan, best hernia surgeon at the CK Birla Hospital. You can also call +911244882200 to know the Hernia operation cost in Gurgaon.
Get in touch with us
Get in touch with us