Things you need to know
- Alcohol use does not induce gynecomastia, but it can cause hormonal imbalances in the body, which can contribute to weight gain and obesity.
- Certain drugs can cause gynecomastia.
- Gynecomastia can be found in men of any age.
Gynecomastia is a hormonal imbalance between testosterone and estrogen in males. It causes enlargement of the male breast tissue, which can affect men of all ages, but it is most common in newborns, adolescents, and later adulthood. Men and women both have breast glands, but they are less visible in males. Gynecomastia might go away on its own, if not, then surgery is the only permanent solution.
- Nipples becoming sensitive
- Sore and tender breast
- Swollen breast tissues
- Feeling of abnormal discharge from either of the breasts
- Lumps that may be painful
- Appearance of blood
Causes of gynecomastia
- Due to the imbalance between the estrogen and testosterone levels
- A variety of medications, including anxiety pills, AIDS pills, antibiotics, heart pills, ulcer pills, and digestive pills, can all produce gynecomastia, as not all medications are suitable for everyone
- Consumption of recreational drugs can cause gynecomastia
- Several health conditions like ageing, liver failure, kidney failure, and tumours affect the testes
- When there are low levels of testosterone in the body
Though gynecomastia is self-diagnosed and most cases do not require any treatment. If it is due to a certain medication, then it is advisable to stop the medication and switch to alternative medicines after consulting with the specialist. And if the cause of gynecomastia is some disease, then swelling should subside as the disease is treated. Surgery or treatment is only the last resort if gynecomastia does not improve on its own.
Types of surgery performed
- Liposuction: Removal of fatty tissues found beneath the breasts
- Mastectomy: Removal of glandular tissue from the breast also this procedure is less invasive and only requires a few minor incisions
How is gynecomastia different from fat?
Gynecomastia is a condition in which the breast tissue becomes more prominent and is often called man-boobs. Fluctuations in hormones encourage the growth of breast tissues. Gynecomastia is unrelated to obesity and does not cause the buildup of body fat.
A person who is overweight or obese will have more fat than needed to maintain a healthy body leading to larger breasts. However, in gynecomastia, the expansion is caused by abnormal tissue growth.
If not treated, it can lead to severe discomfort and swelling.
Yes, it is a treatable condition.
If you feel a hard lump, then it’s gynecomastia; otherwise, it’s a case of being overweight.
No, but exercise can help you stay fit and healthy. It is advisable to consult your specialist to know more.