Things you need to know
- A facelift can help you look several years younger, and the respective results typically last for several years.
- A facelift is one of the most popular procedures under cosmetic surgery.
- A facelift is designed to diminish wrinkles and skin folds, not to remove them completely.
Facelift, also called rhytidectomy, is a procedure done to improve and lift your jowls, lower face, and neck area. Excess skin is removed, wrinkles are smoothed out, and facial tissues are tightened during a facelift. It does not include a brow or eye lift, but if asked and required, the doctors can perform these procedures side by side to combine both the recoveries into one.
How does a facelift work
The procedure helps to improve the appearance of the face, and along with lifting the facial tissues, it also helps to lift up the lost confidence as we age. A rhytidectomy is a medical term used for a facelift, it helps in firming the extra sagging skin and making alternations in your face that occur as you age. Facelift surgery is a long-lasting, safe and effective procedure when done with the right approach, as it is one of the most popular procedures done to rejuvenate your face’s appearance. The results of face upliftment are usually expected to last for at least ten years or more.
Why do people go for a facelifts
As you get older, your skin starts to change due to aging so getting some alternations for a better appearance and to reduce to sagging of the skin on the cheeks and to have a perfect jawline is why people wish to get facelifts
Age-related reasons for why facelift seems necessary:-
- Skin becomes less elastic, and fat starts to decrease or increase in some areas of the face
- Loose and excessive skin around the jowls (lower jawline)
- Sagged and accumulated fat around the neck
- Folded and wrinkled skin around the mouth or lips.
Types of facelifts procedures
- Deep Plane
- Mid- facelift
- Cheek lift
- Jawline lift
- Temple or brow lift (not included in the facelift procedure)
- Liquid facelift
- Mini facelift
What to expect before the facelift procedure
Before starting the procedure, the doctor will have an in-depth medical discussion with you to know what all changes and what type of facelifts you are looking for. It is always best to provide your doctor with your medical history to avoid any complications.
Your doctor may look for:-
- Any signs of allergies
- Note if you are on any medication
- Check your blood pressure levels
- Prone to any skin conditions
- Know your lifestyle- Make your doctor aware of smoking, alcohol consumption, and drug usage
After understanding the patient from a medical perspective, the doctor and the patient will go over all the details regarding the procedure like- the type of treatment that will be performed and consult about the requirements and concerns of the patient, make the patient aware of any possible and foreseen side effects or complications that may arise after the procedure.
After a facelift procedure
Once the procedure is successfully completed, you may encounter:-
- Mild to moderate discomfort
- Very light flow of blood from the incisions
- Light bruising
- Swelling in and around the area where the surgery was performed
After the surgery, have complete rest with your head slightly elevated, take medications as prescribed, and apply cool packs to reduce the swelling and ease the pain or, as do as suggested by the doctor.
Your doctors will best be able to tell the best age and time to have a facelift. Usually, patients choose facelifts when they are in their 40s or 50s.
Prices may vary from clinic to clinic and what type of facelift is required. Consult the clinic for cost-related information.
Once you have been taken off the medications and have recovered well, you can drive safely.